Symbolising a return to normality, team sports, particularly football and cricket were embraced by communities as never before in post-war Britain. At SBCI this enthusiasm re-kindled the flame which has glowed ever brighter over the last 75 years.
The Cricket Club was already underway when the Institute re-started its other activities at an Extraordinary General Meeting on 26 June 1946.
With the Reverend EW Scott presiding, billiards, snooker, table tennis, dominoes, draughts and cards were re-started.
The advent of counter-attractions facilitated by technological advances, particularly the car and television saw the erosion of many traditions, including Sunday as exclusively a day for family and worship.
By the end of the 1950’s, support for cricket was dwindling, but support for the church was also floundering.
In 1960, the cricket club’s secretary, Walter Birkby and treasurer Fred Bates were instructed to act for the Institute during a period when the rest of the organisation, including all the indoor activities, shut down.
Today the letters SBCI are synonymous with cricket in the local area. The Cricket Club has outlived its parent body the Institute’s social club and, with the opening of its £228,000 pavilion in 1999, is utterly transformed from the vulnerable adolescent of the 1930’s.
The hardy band who nurtured the club through its acute growing pains of the 1930’s and 1940’s would be equally delighted and amazed.
In 1947- SBCI ended up Collinson Cup Winners and League Champions.
In 1953 or 1954, SBCI Under 18’s dismissed Siddal for 12 and lost the game when they were bowled out for 11, losing by one run.