Join our team here...

sponsor 1.png
image 6.jpg

1964 Parish Cup Campaign

Parish Cup Campaign 1964

Big-Match Thriller

1964 – Parish Cup Semi Final v Triangle

SBCI were rank outsiders when they reached the semi-final of the oldest competition in the district, the Halifax Parish Cup, in 1964.  The only Division 2 side left in the competition, they were drawn against Division 1 league leaders and eventual winners, Triangle at King Cross.

On a difficult pitch, the match appeared to be heading for the expected conclusion virtually throughout.  Only Albert Gawn (26) made much of the Triangle attack as SBCI struggled to 68 all out which would have been significantly fewer but for a stubborn last-wicket partnership with Gordon Barlow.

Despite testing an economical bowling from Robert Tyas and Alan Hampshire, Triangle’s batsmen made steady, unspectacular progress towards their target at 57 for 4, it just remained for the formalities to be completed.

Then captain Trevor Whitaker threw the ball to Dennis Bowyer.

Three quick wickets to Bowyer and the crucial scalp of opening batsman Rogers – caught by Bowyer off Tyas – turned the game on its head as Triangle collapsed to 57 for 8.

Nerves were strained as the tail resisted briefly, but Bowyer struck again and when Hampshire clung on to a chance offered by number 10 Horsman it was all over.  Six wickets had fallen for six runs in 52 balls and, against all odds, SBCI had won by four runs.

For Triangle, the Division 1 title was considerable consolation, and they went on to win four more in the next eight seasons, but in July 1964 the coveted place in the Parish Cup Final belonged to SBCI.

SBCI CC 68 all out (A Gawn – 26 & A Sutcliffe 10) beat Triangle 63 all out (D Bowyer – 5 for 3, R Tyas – 3 for 29 & A Hampshire 2 for 21) by four runs.

1964 Parish Cup Final

After overcoming Division 1 league leaders Triangle in the semi-final, the odds were again stacked against SBCI when they met Division 1 title challengers and cup holders Booth in the final.

In wet and windy conditions SBCI took an early advantage when three consecutive wicket maidens by opening bowlers Robert Tyas and Alan Hampshire reduced Booth from 29 for 1 to 30 for 4.

Then Willie Thomas took over an dominated the rest of the innings.  None of the bowlers escaped punishment and he struck the Institute’s captain Trevor Whitaker for 17 in one over.

The fifth wicket stand with Radcliffe realised 52- Radcliffe’s share was just 4 – and Thomas found another willing partner in Riley (28) as the last 15 overs produced 79 runs.

Thomas was eventually caught from the first ball of the final over for 92.  His innings included 16 fours – no sixes were allowed!!!

Chasing 167 at just over four an over, SBCI’s reply started even more poorly than Booth had done.

Opening bowler Butterworth took a hat-trick and four cheap wickets were down before Albert Gawn and Robert Tyas steadied the ship.

Gawn was at his attacking best and reached 50 in 31 minutes but his dismissal for 57 left the game in the balance. 

Wickets continued to fall in pursuit of 168 for the win, but with 20-odd runs still required, last man Alan Hampshire joined Albert at the crease and our now Treasurer struck the winning four off the last ball of the match to seal SBCI’s first ever Parish Cup victory.  According to Robert Tyas “it remains the best cricket match in which I have ever played”.

SBCI CC 171 for 9 (A Gawn – 57, R Tyas – 45* & A Hampshire 9*) beat Booth CC 167 for 8 – by one wicket.